Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back {freebie}

You've probably seen the adorable "Desk Fairy" idea all over the wild, wild web.  When I first saw it I loved the idea.  When I decided to do a Dr. Seuss theme with my classroom this year (click here if you want to see pics) I thought it would be perfect if instead of a "Desk Fairy" the Cat in the Hat secretly sneaked into our classroom at night to periodically inspect the desks.  
 
My kiddos have been LOVING it.  They are so excited when they walk in to discover the Cat in the Hat left an award, a poem, and his hat on someone's desk.  Their favorite part is that there's always a treat hiding under his hat too!  You wouldn't believe the wonders it has done to their desks!  Suddenly first graders can keep their desks so immaculately clean!

The little guy's desk box pictured below was just one of almost the entire classes' that looked like that!  Now I have happy, organized kiddos and they have a very happy Cat in the Hat (shhhh don't tell!) teacher.    

If your kids have papers and pencils and crayons and tissues and who knows what else coming out the wazoo of their desk you have GOT to try the Desk Fairy or The Cat in the Hat.  You can download my poem for free below.
You can also start helping them get organized by collecting lids from the zillions of boxes of copy paper that your school (most likely) inevitably goes through.  Which, by the way, was a brilliant idea that some genius before me thunk up! Oh the things you can think if only you try!!! 
How do you help encourage your students to keep their desks clean?
Feel free to check out my Dr. Seuss classroom theme too if you're interested. (Click image)

5 comments:

  1. Super cute idea! I found you from your comment on First Grade Parade. I love your blog, great ideas.
    Cruz'n in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog through Lindsey. I too am a Utah blogger. I love Utah. It's always fun to find other Utah bloggers.
    I'm your newest follower!
    ą®Rikki
    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog from Lindsey too. I'm your newest follower. I also am a blogger in Utah. I love your Cat in the Hat idea. My kiddos certainly need cleaner desks. This is something I will have to try. Thanks for sharing!
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Lory

    Lory's Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good idea to involve the kids in studies and keep them engaged in school activities. I will also give it a try as I like it so much. Now it's time to avail executive chauffeur for more information.

    ReplyDelete

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.” Dr. Seuss

Thank YOU for commenting on my often-nonsense!