Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

A Man of Many Hats




It has been a busy few weeks!  This past week we had our first grade program and my was it a big production!  One of the teachers on my team let me use her son to model all of the darling hats we made. Our school has an emphasis on history, so we sang various different songs that highlighted our history curriculum and used these hats to match. The kids looked SO cute!  You can see the program below.


Paul Revere Style Hat
Revolution Style Hat


Columbus/Sailor Style Hat
Native American Style Hat



Colonial Woman Style Hat (bowl w/ doilie & ribbon)
Queen Crown

King Crown


Next up.... FLAT STANLEY!  My kids are in love with him.  Our history curriculum includes learning about several different ancient civilizations, so a few months ago we read Flat Stanley and the Great Egyptian Grave Robbery.  A few weeks ago when I saw the entire 9 book collection of Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures in our Scholastic bookorder I couldn't pass it up.  My kids are hooked.  They beg me to read it and complain when it's time to stop and go to lunch or recess!  Haha.  We're just finishing the last chapter of Flat Stanley and the Japanese Ninja Surprise.  So... I created a Flat Stanley inspired unit.  I know a lot of people are already done with school, but we still have 2 weeks left, and we're pretty well through with our curriculum and testing, so we are going to be having lots of Flat Stanley fun!  I've integrated the unit with several subjects (reading/writing/grammar/math/social studies/geography...) so it'll be a great review and culminating unit for us. Next year (now that I have all the books) I think I'll spread it out and read/teach them throughout the year.  Anyway, here are a few preview photos.  I'll be posting the unit a little later today.







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my little 'ole blog and leaving a comment! That looks like an incredible production-love how history is incorporated. I'm sure it was a big hit with parents and the kids!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.” Dr. Seuss

Thank YOU for commenting on my often-nonsense!