Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Egypt anyone? + ancient civilizations and I LOVE my lamp!

Egypt anyone?  Do you teach it?  Do you kiddos just EAT it UP?  Mine certainly do.  They love it.  They are so fascinated by everything about it. What fun activities do you? (Leave me a comment or if you have a blog post about it leave me a link! I want to see!)

 We teach the Core Knowledge Sequence, so we learn about several ancient civilizations in first grade...so... each student creates one of these ancient civilization pocket books.  (We actually do one pocket for each civilization and put them all together when we've covered all of them.)  If you teach ancient civilizations and are interested in creating a similar book you can snag it here. It also includes the the vocabulary flapbooks you can see below.  
 Here are some of the activities and things we do when we learn about Egypt:  (click here for TPT and the image for TN if you're interested)
A few weeks ago I saw a lamp similar to this on Pinterest.  I loved it!  And of course I had to make one instantly.  I actually already had the $2 lampshade from the thrift store just waiting for me to put it to good use and a goldish/bronze lampstand that I just wasn't a fan of.  Lucky for me I already had blue spray paint too.  The only thing I had to buy was the ribbon. Using a 50% coupon and my 15% discount at Joann's that didn't cost me much. And here's the final product.  What do you think?
.

 If you want to see more of my classroom you can see pics here.

And if you followed Becca's great linky party over here looking for a February freebie... well here it is!  A valentine/february sentence sort. If you like it, follow my blog! :)  And join the linky!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your classroom it is too cute. I love the Dr.Seuss quotes on the wall.
    ☀Rikki

    The Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy looking around your classroom, so many ideas!! I would like to know where did you find the blue mail slots, I am not familiar with the DI, what is it?

    Thanks for share!!
    Leonor


    ReplyDelete

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.” Dr. Seuss

Thank YOU for commenting on my often-nonsense!