Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Dr. Seuss Classroom Theme PHOTOS FiNaLly!

Tonight was Back to School night because like it or not school starts on MONDAY!  I can't believe it.  I feel like I have been functioning at 150% at an operating speed of 200 mph.  The last week and a half have been CrAzY!  But I'm excited to finally share my classroom photos.  I'll be back soon with some of my co-workers cute classroom photos too.  
 You would never believe that I got the blanket (yes blanket!) used to cover the bulletin board & create the curtains (yes I did cut it!) at the local thrift store for just a few dollars or that I got that AMAZING blue chest for $5 at a garage sale last Saturday.  Yay! Thing 1 was $8 on Ebay. (Look close and you can see the outlet covers.  You can see my earlier tutorial post here.)
 25 yards of red ribbon at the thrift store: 2 dollars.  Yes it was.
 Shelf, mirrors & leather garbage, yep, you guessed it - ALL from the DI or garage sales.  You can see the original $3 shelf post here.  
Found these guys for $1 each at the DI (local thrift store) and couldn't resist making these...

 They are seat covers for my previously called "Students of the Day" now to be my 'Thing 2' and 'Thing 3' (there was no Thing 1 shirt :(, plus we already have a Thing one in our room :)  
Blue mail slots - $5 at the DI.  Red bow-tie shelf - $2 at the DI (I painted of course).  Flat Pendant from Target. Vinyl quote from Etsy.

 (Below) This is our classroom continents rugs & library reading area...
 Homework tray & pencil cup labels
 Schedule cards huge thanks to Melanie Conger.  You can get the cards here.  
 I always display our spelling words for the week. (Available in my classroom pack - see end of post)
 Our phonogram board, Dr. Seuss abcs & truffula trees!
 Seussified teacher space place.  Love the hanging lantern lights. You can see my blue filing cabinet post and get the birthday balloon template free here.

Cute hiding places! 
 
 Our Saxon Math Meeting/Calendar Board.  (Calendar & pieces from Michaels).
 East sign & clock numbers
 Back to School Poem for students + erasers from Target
 Classroom door display.  ADORABLE Quotes available here and cutouts from Target.
 Things 1-26 Locker Tags (in my classroom pack - see end of post)
Seussified Wreath End-Result (see original post here)
 Peeking through the door. See the curtains and chair covers?

Easel area & Planet Rug 
 Oh wait!  There's more!? Here's the HANDSOME boy that I came home to. Seriously, check. him. out! And look what he's working on.... a Seussified shelf ALL for me and my kiddos! How sweet he is. Best. husband. ever.
 Pictures to come!
Leave me a comment if you like it!  Or send me any questions you have.  
PS - If you want to download the Dr. Seuss Classroom theme things that I created go ahead and click the image below! You can get the classroom labels for free here.   


 
Jessica @ Tales of a First Grade Teacher, Lorraine @ Fabulous 4th Grade Froggies, and Corinna @ Surfing Through Second are all hosting fun linky parties highlighting Classroom Themes/Design.  I have been working so hard (and excitedly) on my theme for this year... Dr. Seuss and couldn't wait to join the parties!

47 comments:

  1. Wow, your class looks fantastic! I bet your students and parents just loved it:)) I love all of your thrift store finds. I am a thrift store junkie myself. And your schedule cards are just too cute. Mahalo for linking up. I will give you a shout out on FB and hopefully send a few more people your way:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinna! Yeah, the thrift store is THE best! Thanks for the FB shoutout!

      Emily

      Delete
  2. I love this set. Where can I get it at? When I looked for it at TPT I couldn't find it and when I clicked on it all it did was give me a close-up picture.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Anna - So sorry about that. How silly of me to forget to link to it! It's now linked and you should be able to find it. Or here's the link to it:
      Dr. Seuss Classroom Theme

      Delete
  3. I am in love with Dr. Seuss! I did a Seuss theme last year and all of this stuff was really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room is beautiful. Thanks for sharing pictures! I am quite jealous:-)

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! How did you make the truffala trees? They'd make a great concert backdrop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Sorry for the long delay in my reply. I found a great tutorial for the truffula trees at Mrs. Lodge's Library: http://mrslodgeslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/02/truffula-trees.html
      Best of luck!

      Delete
  6. I love it! How did you make the truffala trees? They'd make a great concert backdrop...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you classroom!!! How did you make your truffala trees? I would really like to make some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)
      Sorry for the long delay in my reply. I found a great tutorial for the truffula trees at Mrs. Lodge's Library: http://mrslodgeslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/02/truffula-trees.html
      Best of luck!

      Delete
  8. LOVE IT! Stealing so many things from here! Where did you get the Seuss Alphabet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Seuss alphabet is two sets of flashcards from Target. I used the picture side for my word wall, but I think the large letter is on the other side. I do have another set, so I think I will change mine!
      (Hope that helps)
      Texas Kindergarten teacher.

      Delete
    2. Yes, thanks Teacher for your more timely reply than mine - I got the alphabet at Target last year in their dollar deals section.

      Delete
  9. Love your classroom. I made your Truffula trees for my Dr. Seuss room this year. I have picked up tons of Dr. Seuss items from the $1 section at Target. Next up, making the balloon wreath. Only one week until school starts. I better get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Dr. Seuss! Your classroom is adorable. Are you doing that again this year?
    I would love to see pictures of the shelf your husband made.
    Here are the pictures of my room from last year. I am doing the same theme again this year. The parents and students love it last year.
    http://pinterest.com/angelmherring/my-new-dr-seuss-kindergarten-room/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cute! Yeah, I'm doing it again, but I changed schools and grades and am going part-time since my little girl is due in October... so it's all a bit of a scramble to get things put together.

      Delete
  11. Where did you find you Dr. Seuss alphabet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Seuss trees! We have tools to help you hang those...an answer to a problem that I presented to my husband when I nearly feel hanging things in my classroom. If you're interested, use the code October to get a 25% discount! Keep teaching! We need teachers like you!!!!
    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE THIS! Its exactly what i've been planning in my head, made into real life :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh I love this room! Those Dr Seuss trees are amazing! Thank you for sharing, now following you
    Sheena @ http://thekeeperofcheerios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! I want to do a Dr Seuss theme this year, so you have given me lots of ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    Theresa (New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for these great ideas! I am a follower now! Paula @ educatingchildrenwithdisabilities.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  17. The trees are awesome!! I'm making them for our breakfast with Dr. Seuss next week. The trees - did you paint the pipe insulation? Or did you use something else other than pipe insulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh ... never mind ... you used pool noodles!! At least I think you did. LOL

      Delete
  18. please elaborate on how you made the tops of the trees - they are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did you make the tree tops? Want to make them for friends grandsons first birthday. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. How did you make the tree tops? Want to make them for friends grandsons first birthday. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. How did you attach the trees to the wall?

    ReplyDelete
  22. My kiddos and I are working on featuring The Lorax for a homeschooling project and we love your Truffela Trees! Thanks for sharing! We will be doing a replica of these :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. HOW TO MAKE THAT BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS?THAT ARE COLORS YELLOW GREEN,YELLOW,RED AND BLUE?HOW TO MAKE THAT CAN YOU HELP ME?PLZ HELP ME..WHAT ARE THE THINGS NEEDED TO MAKE THET?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is seriously my dream classroom! So many beautiful ideas. I might just have to make those trees!

    ReplyDelete
  25. how did you make the truffle trees?

    ReplyDelete
  26. You could make the truffula trees with pool noodles, duct tape, and those puffy paper flowers you make with layers of tissue paper. Or, you could get the ones already done for you and you just have to fluff them up and attach. I think I will make me some this week. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I LOVE your room! I did a Dr. Seuss room as well this year and it turned out super cute! How did you get your Truffle Trees to stay up? After only 1 day mine keep falling!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing your fantastic ideas! I get to work with elementary age kids who are strong readers & this theme will be perfect for my cupboard under the stairs size room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. The link for the quotes doesn't seem to be working. Where can I find them please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your Dr Seuss theme!!! I work in our school's HS library and still decorate for the week of Dr Seuss's birthday. A person's never too old right?!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How did you make the chair covers

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE your ideas- how did you make the "trees" stand up?

    ReplyDelete
  33. How do I make the truffala tissue poms?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! Beautiful room! I'm doing a Dr. Suess theme for my 4's classroom for preschool. It's coming together nicely, but I had a question about the Truffala trees. I thought about cutting pool noodles down the middle, long-ways.. attaching to the wall that way, so their flat against the wall. How did you get your Truffala trees to stay in place and not fall over?

    ReplyDelete
  35. The lights hanging from your desk in one of the pictures, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.” Dr. Seuss

Thank YOU for commenting on my often-nonsense!